Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Monday, May 7, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Chicken

Jalapeno Popper Chicken
I've been trying to be a bit more picky with giving recipes 5 stars but I just can't find anything wrong with this chicken.  It just doesn't deserve 4 stars.  It didn't do anything wrong so it shouldn't be punished!  I found this recipe on Mommie Cooks via Pinterest and boy am I glad I did.  I had some cilantro that I needed to use and I really love making cream sauces with cream cheese or Laughing Cow so this was right up my alley for the night.  It was only sort of jalapeno popper tasting but that doesn't even matter because these are some fabulous flavors mixed together.  If you like jalapeno, cilantro and bacon then this is the recipe for you! *INDUCTION FRIENDLY*

5 STARS
3 servings
3.3 net carbs per serving

3 chicken breasts
a sprinkle of cumin (I used about 1/2 tsp)
a sprinkle of chili powder (I used about 1/2 tsp)
a light sprinkle of salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (we are wimps so we just used 1 but I recommend 3)
4 oz full fat cream cheese
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 slices of bacon, chopped
1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro (can use 1 tsp dried but I don't recommend)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Pan fry the bacon until crisp.  Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon but leave grease.  Sprinkle cumin, chili and salt on each side of chicken breasts and pan fry in the bacon grease until cooked through, flipping half way.  Remove chicken and keep warm.      Throw chopped jalapeno and garlic in pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes over medium heat.  Add chicken broth, scraping and deglazing the leftover yummies in the pan.  Add cream cheese and stir in until melted.  Add shredded cheddar and stir until melted.  Add bacon crumbles and cilantro, stirring through for a minute or so.  Spoon sauce over chicken.


44 comments:

  1. Yummmyyyyy! I might steal this one from ya ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooked this today absouloutly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fat grams? Calories? Seems very high fat.

      Delete
    2. It's a low carb high fat receipe, sweetie.

      Delete
    3. I used my new wave oven to cook chicken and made the sauce independently. I used a touch of olive oil to cook jalapeño and garlic and then I used precooked bacon. It was absolutely delicious and I would guess it cut fat content considerably.

      Delete
  3. This recipe is delicious! I was not a happy camper this week when i went back to induction after an ice cream filled 4th of July, but with food like this, I didn't feel deprived at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never feel deprived either! Ok, yeah we can't eat a giant bowl of pasta but we can eat bacon and cheese and fat and steak. I think the joke is on all those lettuce and water girls! LOL

      Delete
  4. Do you know about how many weight watchers points this is if I minus the bacon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with Weight Watchers and don't know the math equation they use to get their point counts. Perhaps you could enter the recipe into some sort of online weight watchers points calculator?

      Delete
    2. WW wise I would use turkey bacon, FF cream cheese and FF Kraft cheddar cheese. I have done WW for 3 years and lost 78 pounds but plateaued so am trying low carb to get the last 10 off. I'm going to try this recipe. Sounds delish..

      Delete
  5. Made this tonight for the 2nd time....got really brave and used jalepenos but cooked them really well. This is yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! I'm a bit caution with jalapenos as well but they add such a great flavor to the recipe.

      Delete
  6. This gets asked for often from my family. LOVE the seasoning on the chicken against the creamy *kick* from the cheese sauce. If you are hesitant to try it, please do you wont be disappointed. Thanks for these kind of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad everyone liked it! Sometimes it can be challenging to get an entire family to agree on dinner.

      Delete
  7. Made this tonight and it was AWESOME! I normally don't like super hot or spicy things but I did use all 3 jalapenos and I barely noticed the heat. Thanks for sharing, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are those weird people that have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, would it be totally missing a major component in flavor if we skipped it or maybe suggest an alternative? Thanks. This looks SO good!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne! I would say just to leave out the cilantro. This sauce is great with or without it.

      Delete
  9. Delicious,,I made this for our supper. I left the seeds out of the peppers, but will leave some in next time! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy the heat (I have 3 little kids so I have to be careful with it), then by all means, the hotter the better! Yum!

      Delete
  10. Hi there, I made this for dinner tonight with several small changes and we loved it. Used six slices of bacon, cooked the jalapeños for about six minutes then added the garlic for two more minutes and finally omitted the cilantro. Thank you very much for this five star recipe! Looking forward to making this yummy meal often. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm using the adkins carb counter app on my iphone. Do you know how many calories, fiber and protein are in this receipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I don't since I don't track any of those things on my LowCarbHighFat lifestyle. You can use fatsecret.com or myfitnesspal.com to get a full nutrition count for any recipe though!

      Delete
  12. I was making your chicken again and while making it I was thinking of low carb recipes I make. I thought you might like this one. http://lizdaisy.com/?p=571

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow looks good! We make a stuffed jalapeno popper chicken (chicken stuffed with cream cheese, jalapenos & cheddar). The bacon sauce will be a great addition! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What would be some good sides to serve with this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely amazingly delicious!! Thank you for sharing this recipe. Not only did I love it, my mom and brother also loved it, even my 9 year old was asking for seconds! A definite keeper in this house for sure. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I'm planning on making this for dinner tomorrow any suggestions on what to serve it with?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sabrinna - Cozy CuisineNovember 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM

    I just made this and it was soooooo yummy! I was kinda concerned that it wouldn't thicken up at first...but I was wrong. It was perfect. Now I have to make by boyfriend some pasta to go with this dish, but I don't want to share my sauce. Compromise compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you do this in a crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone done this with crawfish tail? I like to make mine into a casserole with Frances onions on top I'm going to try crawfish tail when I get the chance

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crawfish turned out kickin!!! Even though I forgot broth and garlic so I used water and some garlic powder can't tell its any different then the original mmm best sea food ever to bad the crawfish tail came from China mmm radioactive food anyone its tasty

    ReplyDelete