Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Monday, July 2, 2012

Chocolate Mousse / Frosting

Chocolate Mousse / Frosting
Chocolate Covered Katie calls these Chocolate Frosting Shots.  I'm a little plain with my recipe titles and thought of these as a chocolate mousse.  This would also make a great chocolate frosting for any low carb cakes or cookies or um...just a lonely spoon.  The original recipe said you could mix with a fork but I wound up with some junks of hard coconut milk so I would recommend heavily whisking or pulling out the mixer and beaters.  I would suggest sticking to the Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk as Katie suggests.  I tried this recipe a few weeks ago with Polar brand and it never thickened up in the fridge. :(  Let's move on to the important stuff:  How it tasted!  It was amazing!  It really tasted like dark chocolate frosting!  I'd love to play with this a bit and add other flavored extracts, maybe mint to have mint chocolate!  OMG I wish I had some mint extract so I could try that right now!  Ok time to get back on track, this really did satisfy my chocolate craving and has some amazing potential to make fun flavors.  The net carbs per serving isn't the lowest there ever was but if you are in a further phase of Low Carbing and really NEED some chocolate, this will not disappoint.  Go out there and buy some Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk today so you can have this tomorrow!

5 STARS
6 servings
7 net carbs per serving


1 can full fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchen brand preferred)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (play with this and add mint, raspberry, etc instead)
sweetener to taste (I used 2 TBSP Splenda but I think 3 would have been better)


Open the coconut milk, and leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight, unless it’s already thick like mousse. (Don’t shake the can before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic, because I’ve had the most success with that brand.) Once thick, transfer to a bowl (you can opt to leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can, if you want it even thicker) and whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with beaters.  Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

3 comments:

  1. This wasn't quite thick enough for me....so I added 1/4 tsp xanthan gum and 1/3 cup of the cocoa....also threw in some cinnamon and used the 365 brand stevia.....gonna let it thicken up and serve it tonight with strawberries for dessert for Christmas Dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on your brand of coconut milk as to how thick it will get. I've used brands that it never turned into anything at all. The Thai Kitchen Organic makes it super thick and creamy. I'm glad you found a way to make it work with xantham gum!

      Delete
  2. How tiny are these servings? That looks like a crazy small glass...

    ReplyDelete