Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Monday, July 30, 2012

Rum and Toasted Coconut Ice Cream

Rum and Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Is there really anything better on a hot summer night than ice cream?  My big ole booty would certainly say not.  Just because my booty wants to be less booty-licious by being a low carber does not mean that we have to miss out on such a yummy treat!  I made this recipe exactly how All Day I Dream About Food wrote it since it was my first time making ice cream from scratch.  It was a time consuming process but if you've missed ice cream as much as I have, then it is WELL worth it.  Following her directions, the texture and quality was right on par with traditional ice cream (results may vary depending on your ice cream maker).  The flavor of rum and toasted coconut together was such a great combo that I would never have dreamed up on my own.  I plan on using this recipe as a base and experimenting with other flavors in the future.  One thing I will say, it has a bit of a weird bite in the flavor which I think it from the Splenda I used.  I know there are some other sweeteners or mixture of sweeteners that can be used to reduce that and create a closer match to sugar.  This was still an amazing recipe, just be aware that you can taste the artificial sweetener in it.

4 STARS
6 servings
3.5 net carbs per serving


2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup granular Splenda (or your sweetener of choice)
4 large egg yolks
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds, toasted (400 degrees for 2-3 minutes)
3 TBSP dark rum



Set a medium bowl in a large container of ice water.
In large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and sweetener and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 170F on a candy or instant-read thermometer. 
Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until light yellow and thickened, about 3 minutes.  Very slowly whisk ½ cup of the hot cream into the yolks to temper them, then gradually whisk tempered yolks back into the saucepan.  Continue to cook mixture, stirring continuously, until it reaches 175F to 180F.  Do not let it come to a boil.
Stir in the coconut milk and toasted coconut.  Pour mixture into the bowl set into the ice bath and let cool 10 minutes, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill until cold, at least 3 hours. 
Stir in rum and pour into canister of an ice cream maker.  Churn according to manufacturer’s directions until thickened and creamy, about the consistency of soft serve ice cream.  Transfer to an air-tight container and press plastic wrap flush to the surface.  Chill until firm but not rock hard, about 2 more hours.   Serve immediately. 
If you will be freezing the leftovers for later use, be sure to let them warm in the fridge or on your counter to make them soft enough to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Not being a drinker I do not have any Rum--would rum extract work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend using Stevia in the Raw, as she suggested. I think splenda does have a weird taste. Plus, stevia isn't an artificial sweetener, so that's always good. This is such a good ice cream!

    ReplyDelete