Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Green Beans

Sweet and Spicy Green Beans
I know the photo makes it look like a boring plate of green beans but I'm here to tell you that this is now probably one of my top 5 green bean recipes!  We make TONS of green beans in our house, call us green bean connoisseurs if you will, so it's kind of a big deal to be saying this is one of our favorites. :)  In all seriousness, this was fabulous!  The sauce was light but oh so flavorful.  The spice level was just right, a bit of a kick but nothing in the actual "hot" category.  I would still probably deem this not for kids so be aware.  This recipe is from allrecipes.com and I made as stated except I used frozen green beans and imitation sugar free honey (which I doubled as I find the fake stuff needs a bit more than the real thing).  Imitation Sugar Free Honey is readily available at most major grocery stores.  I bought mine at Target and is even Market Pantry, Target brand.  Garlic Chili Sauce is in most major grocery stores as well, usually found in the Asian Foods section.

5 STARS
4 servings
5 net carbs per serving


3/4 pounds fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp garlic chili sauce
2 tsp sugar free imitation honey
2 tsp canola oil


Steam green beans, using your preferred method.  (I use a steamer tray in the microwave)  In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, garlic, garlic chili sauce, and imitation honey.  Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the green beans and fry for 3 to 5 minutes.  Pour in the sauce mixture.  Continue cooking, while continuously stirring for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is nearly evaporated.  Serve.

3 comments:

  1. These were so yummy!! I used Stevia in place of the honey. Not sure where to find sugar free honey. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so glad you liked this dish! The bottle of sugar free honey that I currently have is from Target, and is even the Target store brand Market Pantry. I've seen it at Walmart and most major grocery stores as well.

      Delete
    2. ok thanks! I'll take a look next time I'm there!

      Delete